Our Nursery
About Us
Our Services
History of Upton Court
Nurturing & Learning
Parent Partnership
The Nursery Team
Careers & Development
Contact Muddy Boots
Our Nursery > History of Upton Court

 History of Upton Court

 The village of Upton is first mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086, and it is the historic centre of Slough. Parts of Upton Court can be dated back to 1325 during the reign of King Edward II, although there was almost certainly a building or buildings on the site before this.  Some timbers in the building can even be dated back to 1280. Upton Court is a fine example of an aisled hall with distinctive hammer beams. In its earliest form the hall had a beaten earth floor with an open fireplace which provided a cooking area and the only source of heat.  There was no chimney, and the smoke escaped through louvres in the roof as can be evidenced from the blackened timbers in the hall.

Initially the Lords of the Manor were the monks of Merton Priory and they left their mark on the landscape with the large fishpond which is now the meadow to the front of Upton Court. After the dissolution of the monasteries Upton Court was sold to raise money for the crown and moved from owner to owner. These owners included Benjamin Lane who gave generously to the parish and the Lascelles Family. In 1711 Benjamin Lane bequeathed Upton Court to Edward Lascelles and his heirs.

As with most of the residents of Upton Court, not many members of the Lascelles family lived in the Slough manor house and it was leased to tenants. There were, however, members of the family who were buried at St. Laurence’s Church. One mural monument on the north side records 'near this place lie the remains of William Lascelles, Esq. of Upton Court, in this Parish'. The Court's Lascelles connection was highlighted in the 1920s when King George V and Queen Mary visited Upton Court on 4 June 1922. They were viewing the house to decide whether it was a suitable country home for their daughter, Princess Mary, when she married Viscount Lascelles, later 6th Earl of Harewood. However, Upton Court did not get the Royal seal of approval and the Lascelles family sold the house in 1929.

Upton Court was last used as a house in 1986 by Mr Francis Groves. Following a major refurbishment and renovation, the house in its current form was most recently used as offices for the Slough local newspaper, the Slough Observer, before being renovated and adapted into a children’s nursery.


Website designed and hosted by Immedia Creative Ltd